Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky During the nineteenth century, the town of Wick was the herring fishing capital of Europe and as many as 1,000 boats used the port. Indeed, Pulteneytown, the area of Wick south of the river, was built for this purpose in 1810 by its namesake, Sir William Pulteney. The Pulteney distillery itself was founded by James Hendersen in 1826. Lying close to the coast to the south of Wick, the distillery was only accessible by sea. The whisky was exported on boats and barley was shipped in and its maritime traditions were such that distillery workers also moonlighted as fishermen.