Craigellachie Speyside WhiskyThe distillery was built in 1891 in Banffshire at the very heart of Speyside, between Rothes and Dufftown. Here are green pastures and heather-field and the distillery is in close proximity to the blissful confluence of rivers Spey and Fiddich. From the whisky distillery, perched high on the rock of Craigellachie, one can gaze over the village and namesake, and the quaint John Telford-designed bridge which crosses the river Spey. The water is drawn from a spring on Conval Hill and feeds the 3.6 million litre annual capacity of Craigellachie distillery. Co-founded by Alexander Edward, of Aultmore fame, and Peter Mackie, of the blending company White Horse, the buildings were designed by the reputable Speyside architect, Charles Doig.
Lodgings were provided for the workforce in the form of terraced cottages. Each had their own small garden and every year White Horse would award the tenant with the best-kept garden. The casks and subsequent maturations are based off-site and the new make spirit is transported from Craigellachie to Dewar's Glasgow warehousing facilities. Dewar's have owned the distillery since Bacardi Martini acquired the company from Diageo in 1998. There have been independent bottlings as well as the sole official house bottling, the 2004-released fourteen year-old Craigellachie single malt.