Edradour Highland Scotch WhiskyEdradour is perhaps best known as one of Scotland’s smallest distilleries, producing a mere 90,000 litres per annum with a work force of just three. Established in 1825 in the hills of Pitlochry, Edradour (pronounced ‘EDD-ra-DOWer’) maintains its heritage as an almost artisanal distillery. The heart of the range, a ten-year old, exhibits an unconventional charm, uncharacteristic of a highland single malt.
Edradour was acquired in 1982 by drinks giant Pernod Ricard. Following the acquisition, three quarters of the distillery's yield was initially used in the production of blended whiskies, notably including ‘House of Lords’ and the auspiciously named ‘King’s Ransom’. It was not until Signatory acquired the distillery in 2002, that Edradour concentrated its efforts, almost solely, on producing single malts. Renowned for experimenting with various outlandish wood finishes, Edradour has released various malts matured in some rather interesting casks, a ‘Chardonnay Finish’, a ‘Côte de Provence’ and a curious ‘Tokaji Wood Finish’ being among the number.
Signatory moved its base of operations to Edradour after building a bottling plant and warehouse at the site. In 2003, Edradour experimented with a peated single malt, named ‘Ballechin’, with peat levels of 50ppm, launching it in 2006. A new bottling of Ballechin has and will be released every year, each time finished in a different wood, until it has reached full maturity at ten years.