Owner: Region/district: Diageo Northern Highlands
1897 Active (vc) 2 200 000 litres
Address: Dalwhinnie, Inverness-shire PH19 1AB
01540 672219 (vc) www.malts.com
1897 – John Grant, George Sellar and Alexander Mackenzie from Kingussie commence building the facilities. The first name is Strathspey and the construction work amounts to £10,000.
1898 – Production starts in February. The owner encounters financial troubles after a few months and John Somerville & Co and A P Blyth & Sons take over in November and change the name to Dalwhinnie.
1905 – America’s largest distillers, Cook & Bernheimer in New York, buys Dalwhinnie for £1,250 at an auction. The administration of Dalwhinnie is placed in the newly formed company James Munro & Sons.
1919 – Macdonald Greenlees & Willliams Ltd headed by Sir James Calder buys Dalwhinnie.
1926 – Macdonald Greenlees & Williams Ltd is bought by Distillers Company Ltd (DCL) which licences Dalwhinnie to James Buchanan & Co.
1930 – Operations are transferred to Scottish Malt Distilleries (SMD).
1934 – The distillery is closed after a fire in February.
1938 – The distillery opens again.
1968 – The maltings is decommissioned.
1986 – A complete refurbishing takes place.
1987 – Dalwhinnie 15 years becomes one of the selected six in United Distillers´ Classic Malts.
1991 – A visitor centre is constructed.
1992 – The distillery closes and goes through a major refurbishment costing £3.2 million.
1995 – The distillery opens in March.
1998 – Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition 1980 (oloroso) is introduced for the first time. The other five in The Classic Malts, each with a different finish, are also introduced as Distillers Editions for the first time.
2002 – A 36 year old is released.
2003 – A 29 year old is released.
2006 – A 20 year old is released.
2010 – A Manager´s Choice 1992 is released.